Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website

From: Michael Siegel
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Some issues with the Dragora website
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:07:09 +0100

Am 12.11.19 um 22:39 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
>>> The directory "ISOs" refers to files ending with the extension .iso,
>>> along with checksums.  This is capitalized respecting the nomenclature
>>> plus the "s" was added to imply that it can be in plural (more than one
>>> image).
>>>
>>> There should be other people's opinions in case they are confused or do
>>> not understand it as to try to change it or add more information about
>>> it, I guess.
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> A few more thoughts on this from my side:
>>
>> I think that adding an “s” to indicate a plural there is unnecessary. I
>> mean, “ISOs” is more of a sloppy plural for “ISO images” or “ISO files”,
>> isn't it? Also, I'm pretty sure the future manual will clearly state
>> where to get Dragora installation images from, so you probably won't
>> have a lot of people wandering around in the rsync repository and
>> wondering where to find them.
>>
>> Additionally, if ISO is referring to the file format, which it is, it
>> should better not be pluralized, IMO. Debian, for example, has its page
>> about CD and DVD images at https://www.debian.org/CD/, which is
>> reasonable because it refers to the format or kind of the medium. I'd
>> say the same holds for ISO images.
>
> Yes, I think we can rename it to "iso-images" or "releases", what do you
> say?.

It's kind of a tricky question. I think I would not go for “releases”
because a Dragora release encompasses more than the collection of ISO
images in that directory, doesn't it? So, if I had to choose one of the
above, it would be “iso-images”. I would just shorten it to “iso”, but
that's not really worth arguing about, I'd say.

Now, I've had another look at the structure of the repository at
http://rsync.dragora.org/ and it seems a bit odd to me that the
directory containing the ISO images for 3.0 is not inside the “v3”
directory. I think it would, maybe, make more sense to have it in there
instead of putting it next to “v3” in the top-level directory. Well, it
depends on how you're using “v3”. If it's going to be used throughout
the 3.x release series (which I guess it is), keeping the ISO image
directory out of it makes sense.

Best
--msi