Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Package selection menus in Expert

From: Michael Siegel
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] dragora-installer: Package selection menus in Expert mode
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:00:22 +0100

Am 19.11.19 um 01:22 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Right.  Your findings are the weak and evident points of the
> installer, it's not a big deal, since it's doing its job (in the
> current way, which is to install Dragora 3).

Yes, it surely does that. And once the partition detection is in order,
it will really be good enough for now. I mean, these things don't need
to be solved immediately. It's probably better to give it some time and
careful consideration.

> I have been looking at the code, and it seems feasible to improve
> this part.  Maybe I will do the following:
>
> 1. Add the sub-series as "series of software" into the selection
> menu, including those for xorg.
>
> 2. Reduce the Expert menus.
Ok, sounds good to me. It would, I think, also be a good idea to have
sort of a work-in-progress roadmap for the installer, if that doesn't
exist already.

One idea that came to my mind was to reduce the total number of main
software series to, say, 15. I mean, if there really need to be more,
then you can't force it and that's fine. But 19 series seems a bit many
to me. You could perhaps create a “base” series containing what is now
in “boot”, “compressors” and even “shells”. That's just an idea, but
maybe one worth considering.

Best
--msi