eliot-general

Re: [Eliot-general] [Eliot-dev] Eliot 1.14

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: [Eliot-general] [Eliot-dev] Eliot 1.14
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 22:16:30 +0100

Hi Joan,

Thanks for this detailed report, it is very useful!

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 09:14, Joan Montané <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1.- Localization issues:
>
> I think these strings aren't in xx.po files:
> * In training mode, the player name "Training" is not translatable.

Fixed in git.

> * OK & Cancel buttons are not translatable.

Actually they are... but not in Eliot :)
For these standard buttons, Eliot uses the QDialogButtonBox class,
which is supposed to respect the desktop guidelines concerning the
buttons layout. Qt uses its own translations (more on this below),
which are not present for Catalan. I could replace the Qt-provided
translation of these buttons with one specific to Eliot, but I'm not
sure it is worthwhile.

Note: I noticed that on Windows the Qt translations don't work at all
(even for French), because of a packaging bug. It is also fixed in
git.

> * In bag window, the strings "Remaining vowels/consonants/jokers" are not
> translatable.

Fixed in git.

> Following are not 1.13 related Issues:
> * In an Spanish Windows XP, with Catalan Language package and Catalan
> regional settings, Eliot menu is in English. VLC is in Catalan (with VLC
> default language setting). I checked this behavior from 1.10 to 1.13 and
> Eliiot is always showed in English. Sorry, but I'm Ubuntu user, and I
> doesn't checked before in Windows platform.

I suppose you meant 1.14.
Could you try the workarounds described in [1] please?

If both work, please do not try the final workaround (described in
[2]), because I would like to investigate the problem before the
symptoms are definitively gone...

> *In Ubuntu, Eliot menus are in Catalan, but In any text input box, if you
> right click, the context menu is in English (In a Catalan Ubuntu dekstop, of
> course, :). I don't know if this Issue is Eliot or Ubuntu/Linux related,
> sorry.

This is the same reason as for the OK/Cancel buttons. These context
menus are, by default, completely handled by Qt (see [3]), including
their translation. It works perfectly for French, but from the files
in /usr/share/qt4/translations/ it seems that Qt is not translated in
Catalan.
I think the best approach here would be that someone (you?) translates
Qt in Catalan, so that all the Qt applications benefit from this work
(not only Eliot).

> 2.- Little bug/missing feature/remarks:
> * If you are playing a game, and click "close" x button at window or Exit
> menu command, then the game is closed without any "are you sure?" warning.

Fixed in git.

> * When joker is used, lowercase L looks like uppercase I. I know its a font
> selection issue, just for info.

OK. I don't really see what I could do about this one :)

Best regards,
--
Olivier
[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/eliot-general/2011-12/msg00002.html