[eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:23:49 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Uwe Stöhr <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On the lyx-devel mailing list we read that the version of Python
>> included in the Windows installer cannot use eLyXer as a module:
>>  http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg155134.html
>> Just to clarify: what exactly is the problem? The Windows installer
>> cannot install eLyXer as a module, because it lacks the capability; or
>> is it that it cannot load the module? Does running:
>>  > python -m elyxer --help
>> work, once eLyXer is installed as a module (using the full version)?
>
> My first problem is to install it as module. How do I do this?

It is really easy. Just go to the elyxer directory (where setup.py
resides) and do:
  > python setup.py install

>> On Linux, the installation amounts to copying elyxer.py in a suitable
>> location, e.g. /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/.
>
> In case the user have already installed Python, I can install elyxer.py to
> that location. But when the user updates his Python installation elyxer.py
> gets erased. I fear that the users won't be aware that a Python update
> affects LyX. (For example at work the admins automatically update Python and
> the Python packages they are aware of, but of course not other ones like
> eLyXer.)

I don't know the exact location of site-packages on Windows, but I am
sure that updating Python will not affect it. (Updates from 2.5 to 2.6
will change the location of the directory, but that is a big change
that happens seldom and scripts may have to be updated. Also, this
update requires certain Python knowledge.)

> I therefore strictly divide the installation location of Python and its
> files/modules.

I think in this case you might: first install Python, then install
eLyXer as a module.

Alex.