epsilon-devel

build fails on MacOS/MachO: not ELF or COFF

From: Niobos
Subject: build fails on MacOS/MachO: not ELF or COFF
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:10:05 +0000

Hello jitter-ers,

I was directed here from the #poke IRC channel to report an issue I
encountered while trying to build `poke` on MacOS (10.15.4). For
reference, Jitter is pulled in by the bootstrap-script that `poke`
ships. This may or may not be a vanilla Jitter configuration. I'm
starting from the current master of poke
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/poke.git/commit/?id=904949233f9f9e0fd09aef16522a3e052795399a)

Steps to reproduce:

* Clone the `poke` repo
* run ./bootstrap
* run ./configure
* run make
* See the following error:

> In file included from jitter/jitter-mutable-routine.c:29:
> In file included from ./jitter/jitter-vm.h:29:
> In file included from ./jitter/jitter-patch-in.h:34:
> ./jitter/jitter-sections.h:268:3: error: "Not using ELF or COFF.  This will
> not work."
> # error "Not using ELF or COFF.  This will not work."
>   ^
> 1 error generated.

The error is correct, since I'm building on MacOS, which uses the MachO
file format.

According to the discussion I had with lucasaiu on IRC, Jitter should
fall back to a generic system, but apparently it doesn't.

Attached you can find the config.log. I've re-run ./configure with (I
think) the same arguments, and attached the output as well.

Thank you in advance,
Niobos