erptravel-announce

[Erptravel-announce] drown mare

From: Ruth Bartlett
Subject: [Erptravel-announce] drown mare
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:43:38 +0530

Its real evil lies far deeper and is quite uneradicable. We passed through a ratherbeautiful village. Practically the whole family income goes in keeping upappearances. Butundoubtedly the essential feeling is still there.
They slung their sacksover shoulder or bicycle, and started on the two-mile trudge back to Wigan. Indeed I ratherwonder that it has never been filmed.
But the cult isoften adopted by people who are not by birth Northerners themselves. Behind me a railway embankment made of the slagfrom furnaces.
But there was another and more serious difficulty. And feelings ofthis kind, which are the result of tradition, are not affected by visiblefacts.
Just fancy the street boys trying to frighten his horsenow! Unfortunately, the discomfort of dirtiness is chieflysuffered by other people.
You get nofurther if you do not realize that snobbishness is bound up with a speciesof idealism.
Everyone knows that theunemployed have got to get fuel somehow.
Justfancy a working-class boy of eighteen allowing himself to be caned!
A friend they are passing callsout and asks them where they have borrowed it.
Here you have an interesting example of the Northern cult. Here is an extract from one of his letters to me: I am in Clitheroe, Lanes. It was rubbingshoulders with the tramps that cured me of it. Olives, vines, and vices sumsup the normal English attitude towards the Latin races. And there wont be so many children, either,if the birth-controllers have their way. It is useless tosay that the middle classes are snobbish and leave it at that.
Practically the whole family income goes in keeping upappearances. Nowadays, thank God, I have nofeelings of that kind. There was the same wild rush of ragged figures asbefore.
And feelings ofthis kind, which are the result of tradition, are not affected by visiblefacts.
It makes social intercourse difficult to personsof sensitive nostril.
But move backwards into the MiddleAges and you are in a world almost equally foreign. Butundoubtedly the essential feeling is still there. But traditions are not killed byfacts, and the tradition of Northern grit lingers. It seemed to me dreadful that the doom of a job shoulddescend upon anyone at fourteen.
And there wont be acoal fire in the grate, only some kind of invisible heater.
I have dwelt on these subjects because they are vitally important.