[Fenfire-dev] Re: GL Libvob Threads.

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] Re: GL Libvob Threads.
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:31:03 +0200

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:21:15PM +0200, Matti Katila wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how GL thread works because I can not fix
> FenPDF's bugs currently without the information.
>
> For example, when moving pan of canvas view the window updates very fast.
> Otoh, when moving node within canvas the window update is rarely seen.
> And some mouses do work better in moving node within canvas than others.
>
> What?
>
> Yes, it seems that mouse events fill well the XEventQueue but
> some mouse which are not polled that often does not fill that well the
> queue -> window is updated more often. This seems to be quite strange
> behaviour, I think.
>
> Just wondering how the system works and how window updates can be
> prioritizes?

The point is that if a new event comes in right after a previous
one, it may take a long time to process both and then the next
event will have come in and that will be processed &c.

So the problem is that the system tries to process all events before
generating a new vobscene and if processing the individual events
takes longer than the interval between events (which may happen
when the event processing uses the coordinate system stuff,
since that's currently too slow), then updates don't happen in time.

Clear enough? Sorry, I'm a bit tired and am not sure if I'm explaining
this lucidly at all or not ;)

        Tuomas