Re: [Fenfire-dev] Please comment ASAP: PEG ``vnd.storm.*`` URIs for Stor

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Please comment ASAP: PEG ``vnd.storm.*`` URIs for Storm
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:42:15 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Please comment ASAP -- I want to move to this very soon before writing
> the article.

trying to.., and informing the others about the status too:

> because the ``x-`` means they're experimental; we want to really
> start using Storm now, and we want to make the persistency commitment
> sometime soon so we know that our data will be save, and because

good,

can go on with the experimentation, perhaps to actual use soon enough.

> Additionally, there has been some `discussion`__ lately about
> what should be a URN and what should be not, casting doubt on
> whether we can register Storm URIs as URNs.
> http://lists.research.netsol.com/pipermail/urn-nid/2003-September/000389.html

hm, reading that "Those that are not of sufficient interest to the
internet community, or that don't want to describe their schemes, should
use 'vnd-' or 'org-'.", i'm not sure about how to interpret it.

how are the descriptions of these identifiers not in the interest to the
internet community? ah i just now got this:  "hash: This should be a URI
scheme (like data)." seems to be some discussion there indeed.

> - - Should it be ``vnd.storm.hash`` or ``vnd.storm.block``?
> ~  RESOLVED: ``hash`` is easier to understand for outsiders,
> ~  and ties in with the `proposal for hash URIs`__, so there
> ~  is good precedence for this.
> http://lists.research.netsol.com/pipermail/urn-nid/2003-August/000373.html

ok.

am i getting it right, that 'block' there used to refer to a block ID,
which is essentially the same as the hash? except that there seems to be
additional information, like the mime-type in some schemes:
hash-nss   = [media-type] ":" [hash-scheme] ":" hash-value , as was with
these blocks too. but how would these map, actually? i mean something
like: urn:hash:image/jpeg:sha1:09u_MG#%... or what? seems so based on the
examples.

~Toni