Re: [Fenfire-dev] plan

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] plan
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:57:53 +0200 (EET)

> Matti Katila wrote:
> | For research plan I think we need to make decision of what we are going to
> | research and have a strict timetable. Timetable because of some things are
> | not fun and that's why we need kind of mirror for ourselfs.
> The English plan I wrote had a timetable, how do you feel about it?

- Stormbased collaboration tool, ok
- documentation of experimental things.. hm.. ok, it's feasible if we are
  going to release something otherwise not.
- display shrinking, hm... probably ok.

> The most important goal is to get Loom to run first as a hyperstructure
> editor, akin to the old Gzz client.

Don't take me wrong but you need to explain to me how it helps us to get
in the goal. I really, really want to see and understand the idea.
Currently I have only image of "moving boxes". I felt sorry to say that
but at the same time I think we need to be honest to eachother. Analyze
is the key to many things, I hope.

> | I feel that this years main topic is links and items. I don't
> | remember has Benja said it aloud but he'll probably say if it is not it.
> I don't understand this. What kind of links?

Links as connections?

14:42 <@benja> fenfire is about reflecting the interconnectedness of
               things in the computer, allowing you to make connections between
any concepts

> This definitely doesn't sound like a goal?

So what's the goal then?

> | I think that we need not to have a rough imagine.
> | We need smooth imagine, then we can design the application.
> Are you saying we have to have ff all figured out before we can
> implement it? I don't agree.

No, absolutely not. ff is too far away, let's say 10 years too far.
What we need is a minor goal for this year. If you say that fenfire's
total/big goal is reached by the end of this year I would say that you
are out of luck.

> | I think we should start to have a formal meeting in every two weeks.
> What should we discuss there? When do we start?

Analyze, talk about results, share new ideas with others, make minor
plan for the next two weeks. We can start next week.

> | For example in our FenPDF article space there are items but basicly no
> | metadata. There needs to be some middle way for tjl's "we don't do AI"
> | and all is metadata.
> What do you mean by 'item'? FenPDF does not place emphasis on the
> concept of an 'item' as defined in the JoDI article submission.
>
> Is the point of this topic "Develop a way to store metadata in FenPDF,"?

How we store metadata generally in ff. How do we handle the concept of
metada or otherway around, how we separate the real data from the
metadata.

> or "In general, we need to think about what we think about metadata?"

I think this is quite important, since bringing it on the UI is a bit
hard without really bringing it on.

> I don't think that the latter is important; metadata is just a subset of
> all RDF data, and which RDF data is metadata depends on how you define
> it, I don't think we need to think about that too deeply.

We'll see.

> | One question in my mind is how should UI perform the pool control.
> | Tjl had at some point some ideas, i don't know.
> What kind of control?

About deleting, publishing blocks, moving the blocks between pools etc.
Although the most important thing is to replace web ;) the concept can
live only and only if we can support also personal pools. Because if one
uses storm for his own duties it's very easy to move to shared pools and
so on.

Most people currently doesn't have public_html directory on their
personal computer. I mean such a global file system is not very familiar.

> | I want also have a schedule for manuscripts. In which
> I don't like this, I don't think it makes sense to plan articles for a
> whole year ahead, many deadlines at the end of the year won't even have
> cfps yet.

Ok.

   -Matti