Re: [Fenfire-dev] Font hinting

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Font hinting
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:52:48 +0200

Matti Katila wrote:
| On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
|>Matti Katila wrote:
|>Do you mean that I need to be more specific which text looks bad, or how
|>it looks bad?
|
| You need to say the configuration.

What configuration? How do I find out?

|>As to how it looks bad, I think the easiest way to see is to look at the
|>demo I linked to, and turn hinting on/off:
|
| For small font sizes it looked more ugly. The question is what font size
| you use, what size the libvob implementation use?

The most important case is rendering text at the size a human would read
it, let's say size 12 in the demo.

You have to pass Libvob a font size of 16-18 to get text of about that
size, I think (that's probably a bug in Libvob).

| Do you know that you can
| use font size like 50 and render it to size 5? With the demo it looks
much
| more bolder without this 'hint' and the change is not huge on the size
of 30.

Basically, what happens when you render without hinting is that you
render text at size 5 as a scaled-down version of text at size 50. Yes,
at the size of 30, the difference is small. That's because text at size
30 doesn't need much hinting. If you took that text on scale 30 and
scaled it down to size 5, you would get the much bolder looking text. To
get the non-bold text at size 5 -- or, more important, at size 12 -- you
need hinting.

| You can fix the thing probably by giving a HINT_BIT or something found
| from the FTT project's implementation to OpenGL text.

Could you tell me where exactly in Libvob I can find the text rendering
code?

|>As to which text looks bad, why, I know only one way to render text in
|>Libvob/OpenGL: Create a TextVob and put it into a scene. That's the one
|>that looks bad.
|
| What's the style?

Sans, not bold, no italics. Is there any other? If you ask for serif,
Libvob will tell you that it doesn't recognize this strange font family
and will use sans instead :-)

- - Benja