Re: [Fenfire-dev] Web pointers related to Fenfire

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Web pointers related to Fenfire
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:29:35 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Laszlo, an XML-based UI language that is compiled into a Flash file by a
> web server, for writing "cinematic" Web applications:
>      http://www.laszlosystems.com/
> (you need Flash to look at the demos)
> It is kind of hard to explain *why*, but I think that this is quite
> important to know. Couple of reasons:
>
> - I want Fenfire to look that good.

I want it to look better than that =)

> - It interpolates, and the UI demos make use of that a lot. To a degree,
> the UI is reminiscent of what I want for FF.

It had quite a fun tabbing mechanisms.

> - The business story is that companies can make more useful *and*
> better-looking Web apps with it. I generally find "desktop widgets make
> better webapps" hard to swallow

I didn't know there exists desktop widgets for webapps?

> - It works on the Web, based on the idea that web apps are much more
> successful, for many businesses, than downloading apps.

Do you think that Flash is better than java applets?

> So I see the relevance somewhere along the lines of--
>
> - Figure out how to make FF look better :)
> - Make applets better supported? I.e., provide a solution similar to
> Laszlo where people can provide a browsable FF structure/application as
> an applet.

We need to reduce the size of the jar file and that's it :)

> I think that Laszlo is in some sense a competitor to Libvob/Fenfire,
> even though they have such different goals. Or maybe put it like this:
> Being a competitor to Laszlo should perhaps be a goal for Libvob/Fenfire...

Yes, yes. There will be new solutions but only few of them is free.
We need to do work. There's no other way to get something done.

I would like to do some coding but I'm still stuck with sharing
graphs problem in very theoretical level.

   -Matti