[Fenfire-dev] Re: Reimplementing the structure view with lobs

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] Re: Reimplementing the structure view with lobs
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:01:23 +0100

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:17:28 +0200 (EET), Matti Katila
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I think we shall reimplement the structure view with layout objects.
> For example the focused view(=lob) should be just this:
>
>         Lob l = viewSettings.getLob(c);
>
>         l = getSizeBoxLob(l, ring, c);
>
>         l = new TranslationLob(l, w/2, h/2);
>
> Then all mouse events will go trough the *right* path to event handlers.

That would be great if it were fast enough. But we would have to
create multiple objects for every node shown on the screen every time
the user presses a key to move through the structure; the garbage
collection overhead would be impossible.

I've been thinking about this too; perhaps the key is to do the
optimization we discussed when I was in jkl last fall, about having
some system so that we do not need to create different Lob objects for
everything we show on the screen. I'm not sure at all about the
details, though.

I think we should first get this demo ready before starting to work on
that, what do you think?

- Benja