fhsst-physics

Re: [Fhsst-physics] Assignments and guidelines

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-physics] Assignments and guidelines
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:34:54 -0700

Hi Andy

Glad you asked :) Yes we do, all our LaTeX files are on a CVS
server but we (Sam Halliday) wrote a script to make a self-contained
file for an arbitrary chapter. I'll send you and Michael a self-contained file
for chapter you are working on.

The most important environment we defined, in my opinion, is the one
for worked examples, here is an examples from the forces chapter:

\begin{pwex}{Single Force on a block}

\textbf{Question:} A block on a frictionless flat surface weighs
$100N$. A $75N$ force is applied to the block towards the right. What
is the net force (or resultant force) on the block?\\
\textbf{Answer:}
\westep{Firstly, draw a force diagram for the block}

\begin{center}
\begin{pspicture}(-3,-3)(3,3)
\psline(-3,-1)(-3,-0.1)(3,-0.1)(3, -1)
\psline[linewidth=1pt,arrowscale=2]{->}(0,0)(0,-2)
\psline[linewidth=1pt,arrowscale=2]{->}(0,0)(1.5,0)
\psline[linewidth=1pt,arrowscale=2]{->}(0,0)(0,2)
\psdot[dotsize=0.2](0,0)
\rput(1.3,1){$F_{normal}=100N$}
\rput(1.9,0.3){$F_{applied}=75N$} \rput(1.3,-1) {$F_{weight}=100N$}
\end{pspicture}
\end{center}

Be careful not to forget the two forces perpendicular to the
surface. Every object with mass is attracted to the centre of the
earth with a force (the object's weight). However, if this were the
only force acting on the block in the vertical direction then the
block would fall through the table to the ground. This does not happen
because the table exerts an upward force (the normal force) which
exactly balances the object's weight.
\westep{Answer}
Thus, the only unbalanced force
is the applied force. This applied force is then the resultant force
acting on the block.
\end{pwex}

The \westep makes a numbered step in the solution and keeps track of the numbering etc.

I won't send the files to the list.

Cheers,

Mark

Andy Higginbotham wrote:

Hey,

For those of us using LaTeX do you have defined environment code for
interesting facts, important equations, definitions etc?

Andy

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com