Re: [Fle3-users] I don't undestand Knowledge Building

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-users] I don't undestand Knowledge Building
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:38:44 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello Cesar,

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Cesar Hernandez Rosete wrote:
> I learning to use fle, it's very easy, but I don't undestand Knowledge
> Building:
>
> a) The teacher create a topic (Create course context).
> b) The studens and teacher add notes (Start thread)

You got it....but in the stage of creating the course context you have a
drop downmenu where you can choose "knowledge type set" used in this
course context. The "default" set is a set in Finnish. So choose some set
that is in English and things will be easier for you :-) The default
should be english. Thanks for reporting, we will change it to the next
version.

You can also edit and make new knowledge type sets in the Course
Management. And you can also export and import the knowledge type sets. We
also have one spanish knowledge type set, which you can downloaded from
the Fle3 download page and import it in your own Fle3:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/download.html

> when someone add Start thread: fle send:
> Let's ask: AskWhat is it this?. (text between " "). In that language this
> writing?

The texts given when writing a note are texts helping students (and
teachers too) to get into the knowledge building process.

The language in this case is Finnish :-)

The knowledge type sets are course (or actually course context) specific.
SO they do not go with the UI languages.

> Staff or fleadmin can manage knowledge types.

Yes.

> knowledge types just serves to selec colors to order. isn't it?. I don't
> believe it.

The knowledge type sets help students to write important notes to the
database so that the "discussion" becomes knowledge building. Fle3's idea
is to support progressive inquiry. More information about the pedagogy
behind Fle3 is availabe in:

http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networkedlearning/eng/delete.html

> When I create a new knowledge types, fle requests than I fill a matrix.

In the last matrix you can define which type can start the thread and
which type can follow which type. If you want it to be simple you can
just click all the check boxes and all the types are always available.

> I don't undestand how do I organize the knowledge Building?

The course context can be a sub topic of your course. The context can also
be a sub group of your students.

> Sorry, I believe that this question is very simple, but I lack the feeling
> to understand this.

Thanks for asking. We know that we lack a lot of documentation of these
issues. However, in the help and document page of the Fle3 web site you
will find some manuals.

Best regards,

        - Teemu