forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: Mecanics

From: Jerry Stratton
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: Mecanics
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:29:51 -0800

At 1:04 PM +0000 on 11/5/02, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
>This of course, breaks the decimal system for secondary traits. For
>example, hitting an opponent with your bare fists you might have to roll
>his/her Defense rating (0-10) as a difficulty. Of course, this means
>even the most normal character has a relatively good chance of beating a
>Defense rating of 10. So, we change the secondary trait range to 0-20.

Is this necessarily a bad thing under your system, that normal characters will
always "succeed" when attacking? If I understand your system correctly, they
only "succeed" to the extent that they get enough success points to actually do
something.

If "doing something" ends up being expensive in success points, it doesn't
matter so much that hitting is easy.

For example only, if the opponent is wearing armor, more success points might
be needed to "do damage"; or, you could allow success points to parry as well
as hit. So those success points could be used to increase your own
defense--thus not only sucking success points away from the roller, but also
sucking them away from the opponent, who now has a higher difficulty to
overcome.

Jerry
--
address@hidden         Negative Space    http://www.hoboes.com/
"Good stories typically grow out of character, which of course is determined by