forge-main

[Forge-main] Re: Mecanics

From: Enrique Perez
Subject: [Forge-main] Re: Mecanics
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:28:45 -0800 (PST)

Greetings, I'd like to start working on Sisyphus' Ancient Greeks in Space
world, with his
permission of course. I realize we don't have the game system yet; but, a
history and description
can be written without a game system. I don't know if this will end up being
the primary world for
forge; but, it can work as an alternate material plane also.

Ricardo wrote:
> On the topic of scale, the exploding dice mechanics allow results of 21+
> to be made by beings with stats in the normal human range (0-5).

This is actually a necessary feature because you'll sometimes run into
situations where 'quantity
is a quality all its own'. For example once I was playing a powerful character
with a high armor
class running away from an army shooting at him. The soldiers in that army had
zero chance of
hitting me with an arrow individually; but, it was pretty obvious that with two
hundred of them
all firing arrows in my direction, realistically some should hit. To handle
that the game master
said that if anyone rolled a twenty on a d20, then they can roll again at some
arbitrary chance to
see if they hit. This hack wouldn't be necessary if exploding dice were part of
the game. This
situation was unusual; but, when role playing the weird does happen and we
should have a
consistent & simple way of dealing with it, instead of having to make lots of
special cases.

Cheers,
Enrique