forge-main

[Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPGC Blog)

From: Timothy S. Nelson
Subject: [Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPGC Blog)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:11:34 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Actually, reading through The Forge has given me a few ideas regarding
> FRINGE. For example, there is no reason I can't create a more
> 'meta-game' system from FRINGE a la FUDGE. Rather than have specific set
> abilities or skills, I could devise a more generic system that simply
> specifies that an 'ability' and a 'skill' are required to make a roll
> and makes no assumptions about what precisely those traits are.
>
> For example, if a character is defined with just two abilities: Mind and
> Body, whilst another is defined with the current FRINGE suite of
> abilities (Intelligence, Strength, etc), there is no reason they
> couldn't otherwise interract. A test to out-run each other could still
> be determined by Body + Run versus Agility + Sport, for example. Since
> they are both on the same scale, there would be no problems that
> couldn't be fixed with a bit of gamesmaster imagination.
>
> This leads me to consider splitting FRINGE into two systems: FRINGE
> would become the meta-system, whilst a new system, called CORE, would
> define a standardised sub-syste of FRINGE that can be used as a generic
> roleplaying system for commong types of games (i.e. d20-like fantasy,
> Storyteller-like modern horror, etc).

        I'm in favour :).  I have something with Pirates that could easily be
adapted to a FUDGE-like system.  Part of the inspiration for this was "Mutant
Bikers of the Atomic Wasteland".  If you haven't seen this, I really enjoyed a
quick skim-over of it.

        :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: address@hidden | I am                           |