forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] Re: FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPG

From: Timothy S. Nelson
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] Re: FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPGC Blog)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:11:06 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:

> Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> >>This leads me to consider splitting FRINGE into two systems: FRINGE
> >>would become the meta-system, whilst a new system, called CORE, would
> >>define a standardised sub-syste of FRINGE that can be used as a generic
> >>roleplaying system for commong types of games (i.e. d20-like fantasy,
> >>Storyteller-like modern horror, etc).
> >
> > I'm in favour :).  I have something with Pirates that could easily be
> > adapted to a FUDGE-like system.  Part of the inspiration for this was
> > "Mutant
> > Bikers of the Atomic Wasteland".  If you haven't seen this, I really
> > enjoyed a
> > quick skim-over of it.
> >
> > :)
>
> My only concern is that the fundamental FRINGE task resolution mechanic
> needs work to bring it up to the FUDGE standard, i.e. compared to the
> simplicity of FUDGE dice, FRINGE is decidedly complicated. Or not? What
> do you guys think? How complicated and easy-to-use is the basic FRINGE
> mechanic?

        I thought FUDGE dice sounded worse because you had to actually modify
the dice, or remember which sides were which.  But then again, I admit to not
having paid *lots* of attention to the FRINGE game mechanics, since I haven't
actually managed to get the guys together for role-playing in at least 2 years
:).

> Your pirates game seems pretty interesting. Care to let us know more? :)

        Hmm.  I don't think it's close enough to complete yet.  It was
inspired by MBAW more in its feel than anything -- the idea was to have a
quick game where you could be silly, and get killed easily, but not care :).
It currently uses a system I was developing before I found FRINGE.
Unfortunately I can't find the archive for the freeroleplay list, but I think
I advocated something similar earlier.  Basically, in that system, you have a
simple version and a complex version.  The simple version is based around a
D10, and the complex version on a D100.  The idea is that you get into the
game with the D10 system, and then if its too clunky, you start using the D100
rules.  The idea is to lower the entry requirements.

        Besides which, the Pirates thing is in Word format :).  And it'd be
fairly easy to reproduce what I've got by looking up pirates on the 'Net, and
reading the everything2.com node about "Talking like a pirate is fun, but
annoys people" (and some of the pirate ones linked from there).

James J. wrote:
> > Part of the inspiration for this was "Mutant Bikers of the Atomic
> > Wasteland".
>
> Doesn't that come as a bunch of data files that you have to read with a
> (proprietary) DOS program?

        Well, not the version I've seen (2nd edition).

        http://www.jpbs.homechoice.co.uk/mbaw/mbaw.htm

        :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: address@hidden | I am                           |