forge-main

[Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] Re: New FRINGE Mechanic

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: [Forge-main] Re: [freeroleplay] Re: New FRINGE Mechanic
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:42:32 +0000

Samuel Penn wrote:
* Roll a 1d5 (1d6 where 6 = 0) and add your Skill trait score. If the
result is over the difficulty you succeed.

This means difficulty 10 is impossible (this may be desired).

It also means, that for difficulty X, you need to roll X+1. This
is (IMO) less intuitive than needing to roll X for difficulty X.

d5 is less intuitive than d6.

I think I had originally intended to use a normal 1d6 roll to determine outcome and forget to alter this part. Hence, rolling over a difficulty of 10 would be possible.

Another alternative would be to roll the difficulty or more, in which case a 1d5 would be fine and would give a perfect distribution (0-10). There would always be a chance you could fail or succeed at every roll.

You're absolutely right, a d6 is far simpler and more intuitive than the d5. I like the d5 because it gives a nice, 'natural' range of 0-5. Another method of simplifying the d5 would be to determine that a 6 is a 'critical failure' or 'botch' and counts for nothing in the roll. Would this make it more satisfactorily simpler?

* To determine degree of success roll another 1d5 and add the Ability
trait score. This gives you a degree of success between 0-10.

This makes degree of success independent of the difficulty and
original roll. You also end up throwing away information. A player
who rolls a 5 on the initial roll, is going to be annoyed when
they then roll a 0 for degree of success.

Good point. Thinking through the options, information loss is not desirable but not a major problem. This could be fixed by making the degree of success from the first roll carry over to add a bonus to the second roll. Of course, this would break the 1-10 range of the second roll.

Some alternatives could include:

* The degree of success in the first roll caps the actual success in the second roll. I.e. if you only roll 4 over the difficulty in the first roll, you can only score at most 4 in the second roll.

* Degree of success gives the character a number of re-rolls in the second roll.

All these seem a little clunky. Anyone else have any ideas?

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community