[Freeipmi-devel] freeipmi config file??

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] freeipmi config file??
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:41:17 -0700

I was trying to add some autoconf ability to bmc-watchdog for the
default kcs io port.  After some thinking, I'm wondering if it might be
better to add some type of config file capability to freeipmi, so that
we can code (very crudely, but you should get the idea):

if ((io_port = ipmi_config_ioport()) == 0)
    ipmi_kcs_io_init(io_port);
else if (io-port-command-line-flag-set)
    ipmi_kcs_io_init(io_port_passed_in)
else
    ipmi_kcs_io_init(DEFAULT_IO_PORT);

These are problems I see:

1) Our ability to hard-code the correct io-port is limited.  For example
in fish:

#ifdef __ia64__
static unsigned int sms_io_base = IPMI_KCS_SMS_IO_BASE_SR870BN4;
#else
static unsigned int sms_io_base = IPMI_KCS_SMS_IO_BASE_DEFAULT;
#endif

Some different Intel itanium machine is bound to use a different port in
the near future.

2) Users with non-default-io-port machines will always have to pass in
some value into the --io-port option at the command line.

3) To remove #2, it might result in the need to re-compile packages
different for different machines.  This can be solved by making the
program have a configuration file.  But if every program will need a
configuration file, I think maybe we should just put it into libfreeipmi..

What do ya think??  I imagine:

/etc/freeipmi/freeipmi.conf

default-kcs-io-port     0xf00
default-smic-port       0xf00ba