Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sensors ok vs. alert

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sensors ok vs. alert
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:41:21 -0700

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| Hey AB,
|
| We've noticed on a thunder that as many as 50% of nodes are showings
| alerts for voltage sensors.  I don't believe this is bad, b/c the
| voltages are within the lower and upper critical range.  However,
| since fish/sensors uses the normal min/max range, many sensors are
| showing alerts (IMHO) more often than is appropriate.
|
| I'm in discussion with the admins about their preference for output of
| ranges and alerts, but I think something should be changed in
| fish/sensors.  If I understand this correctly, we can use the readable
| threshold mask (field 20 of the full sensor data record) to determine
| which ranges are available.
|
| I'm going to add a feature request on this to FreeIPMI so we don't
| forget.
|
| Al
`----
Hi Al,
How about, Intel increasing the nominal min/max if they believe that
the condition is normal.

Otherwise, I will work with Bala and come up with a good alerting
policy for sensors tool.

I think,
  crossing nominal  min/max limits should still be ALERT and
  crossing critical min/max limits as CRITICAL.

I will take a look at threshold mask too.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>