Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: GE rsh problem

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: GE rsh problem
Date: 04 Aug 2004 12:26:22 -0700

ab> Please run gdb (or at least strace) to figure out who (xinetd or
ab> in.rshd) opens these new free ports per connection and why. Look for
ab> open ports both on server and client.

Albert> I believe both in.rshd (through rresvport()) and rsh (through
Albert> rcmd(), which subsequently calls rresvport()) use sockets with
Albert> privileged ports.

Ian> I tried on my Debian workstation, I rsh multiple times and netstat
Ian> shows all connections on the server on port 514, just as I'd
Ian> expect.

Ian> I need to recreate the exact system that runs on the problem
Ian> servers.  I am trying to get the correct RH install discs from
Ian> Luan.

The mystery part is solved: rsh protocol uses _two_ connections,
the additional one (for standard error) from the server to the client,
with a source port allocated by rresvport.

Now, why isn't the blocking daemon working to make the two ports
EADDRINUSE?  I think the ball is in Mr. Manian's court.