Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:39:57 -0700

,----[ Robin Goldstone <address@hidden> ]
| So it seems that since the fan speed sensor is the only one with an
| undefined upper critical threshold, you have to treat this sensor as a
| special case.  For all other sensors:
|
| It seems silly to me for you to have to treat this one sensor as a
| special case in your code.  It would be better if we could just get
| Intel to put a value for the upper critical threshold.  In one sense,
| I understand their point that there is really no concern about a fan
| running too fast.  But in reality, there has got to be some maximum
| physical RPM limit associated with the fan.  If they would just use
| that as the upper critical threshold, then you would not need a
| special case for sensor #33.
`----
"Get Sensor Thresholds Command" command has a bit mask indicating
which thresholds are readable. I will make use if this feature (if it
works) to selectively ignore non-readable fields and determine the
state smartly. Then fan sensor need not be handled as a special case.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>