Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Feature Request for FreeIPMI SEL program

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Feature Request for FreeIPMI SEL program
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:12:55 -0700

,----[ "Michael J. Miller Jr." <address@hidden> ]
| On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Anand Babu wrote:
|
| Once concern with this approach is that some data may be lost.  I'd
| be all for this solution or something similer once we have a version
| of the sel program that dumps everything that Intels SELView
| does.
`----
Thats a valid point. Though FreeIPMI's "sel" utility displays all the
human readable fields equivalent to Intel's tool, there are some more
useful info inside the SEL. We need hex dump feature to capture the
entire state.

  echo -n "Capturing IPMI System Event Log ..."
  sel >> /var/log/sel 2>&1
  sel --dump-hex=/var/log/sel.hex --append
  sel --delete-all
  echo "done"

Ian, please note the "--append" argument.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>