Re: [Freeipmi-devel] GNU FreeIPMI 0.1.0-aplha6 (final) RELEASE:

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] GNU FreeIPMI 0.1.0-aplha6 (final) RELEASE:
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:43:47 -0700

Hey everyone,

A few comments/issues with the new bmc-config.  I haven't dug too deep
into the code yet to see if I was doing something wrong or if there was
a legitimate bug, so please correct me if I'm doing something stupid.

1) The old bmc-config format had:

###   Give password here.  Leave '******' for password unchanged.
###   Empty password is acceptable.
user1_password ******
user2_password ******
user3_password ******
user4_password ******

So that the user didn't have to constantly re-type old passwords into
configuration files that were recently checked out.  (For those who
don't know, IPMI lets you set new passwords, but you can't retrieve old
ones.)  Is this feature gone from the new bmc-config?  If so, could we
put it back in??  Right now, the BMC seems to be configured with
passwords of "cdc123"

2) I'm having trouble configuring a few fields ...

tdev3|/home/achu 24>/usr/sbin/bmc-config --diff -f myconfig
USER:Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
BMC :Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
USER:Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No
BMC :Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
tdev3|/home/achu 25>/usr/sbin/bmc-config --commit -f myconfig
<snip>
Committed Key <Volatile_Access_Mode> Value <2>
Committed Key <Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth> Value <#f>
Committed Key <Volatile_Enable_Per_Message_Auth> Value <#t>
Committed Key <Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting> Value <#f>
Committed Key <Volatile_Channel_Privilege_Limit> Value <4>
Committed Key <Non_Volatile_Access_Mode> Value <2>
Committed Key <Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth> Value <#f>
Committed Key <Non_Volatile_Enable_Per_Message_Auth> Value <#t>
Committed Key <Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting> Value <#f>
Committed Key <Non_Volatile_Channel_Privilege_Limit> Value <4>
<snip>
tdev3|/home/achu 26>/usr/sbin/bmc-config --diff -f myconfig
USER:Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
BMC :Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
USER:Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No
BMC :Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
USER:Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
BMC :Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
USER:Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
BMC :Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth Yes
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth No
USER:Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting Yes
BMC :Non_Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting No

3) Any way we could get a --quiet option to remove the "Committed Key"
stuff when we try to commit?

We've decided to reconfigure the BMC on every reboot, so this stuff
clogs up the bootup info.  Also, the username and password would be
output to the console!! :-)