RE: [Freeipmi-devel] spec file problem

From: Cress, Andrew R
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] spec file problem
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:26:18 -0500

Anand,

For IPMI SMBus systems, the IPMI commands use I2C, and the Linux kernel
direction for I2C seems to be to consolidate support of various I2C
chipsets around lm-sensors, and adoption into distributions of
lm-sensors is growing.  The leverage for user-space programs to not have
to develop chipset drivers for each platform is helpful.

So, for a future FreeIPMI SMBus implementation, IMO, FreeIPMI should use
lm-sensors, which provides a user-space API.  The OpenIPMI project has
also taken this approach for SMBus IPMI.

This corroborates the fact that the two should play nice in the same
sandbox (option 2 below).
Eventually they should play together. :-)

Andy