Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing
Date: 04 Dec 2004 08:15:54 -0800

Al> Hey all, My other concern is how to add this to the API.  Right now
Al> the register spacing is hard coded as +1 in
Al> libfreeipmi/src/ipmi-kcs-interface.h.  I'm hardcoding +4 for my
Al> testing/debugging right now.  But a long term solution requires
Al> something else.  Almost all of the kcs interface only allows the
Al> user to pass in the base port address, but not a register offset.

Al> There are several ways to fix this problem.  I think anything
Al> involving an API change isn't one of them.  We could add a global
Al> variable and ipmi_kcs_register_spacing() initialization function?
Al> Configuration files are also possible.

I disagree.  The API is wrong; it should be changed (fixed).  We haven't
had version 1.0 yet.

Basically, everything that takes a "uint16 sms_io_base" argument should
take a pointer to ipmi_probe_info instead (and that structure should
include the spacing, but that's the easy part).

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)