[Freeipmi-devel] Re: are you available for a IRC conference now?

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: are you available for a IRC conference now?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:26:34 -0700

Hey A.B.,

> I can't seem to find 103662. May be typo..

It's under "feature requests", b/c that's what I originally thought it
was.  But it's definitely a bug.  I'll re-submit.

> If it should go as a separate library, IPMI commands should go into
> libfreeipmi

That's the way it is.

> Nice. I have been waiting long time for this library. We will
> implement ipmi-sold now. It will be a multi-threaded telnet or ssh
> proxy to IPMI SOL.

It'll be awhile till I can upload it.  You may want to hold off on sold
until after 0.3.0.

> I am now thinking of two approaches:
>  * make menuconfig style top level build front-end, which lists what
>   IPMI packages users needs..

That is fine, but it should be built on top of ./configure macros i.e.

./configure --with-ipmi-sensors --without-ipmi-sel

menuconfig should not be the default method.

>  * break freeipmi into two parts and manage them as two CVS
>  repositories but under freeipmi umbrella.
>    - libfreeipmi
>    - freeipmi-tools

What is the motivation for this?  We feel it must be under one CVS tree
for easier maintenance.  It forces proper maintenance of tools when
others make changes to libfreeipmi.

If you want to the tools to be released/RPMed/packaged differently, that
is the responsibility of the packager.  I can do that in my RPM spec
file.  We should not organize CVS around how we want the packaging to be
done.

If you really feel they belong in two separate CVS trees, then it really
should be two separate projects.  FreeIPMI would be the library project,
FooIPMI would be the tools project.

Thanks,

> Anand Babu
>

> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 16:16 -0700, Al Chu wrote:
> > Oh, and I forgot to ask about 0.2.2.  Ready?  Yes?  No?
> >
> > Al

> > > Two bugs I want to highlight during your development:
> > >
> > > http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=16278
> > >
> > > ipmi-sel did not output sensor triggers correctly in freeipmi 0.2.0.  I
> > > fixed part of the problem.  However, due to the SDR cache not being
> > > available for ipmi-sel, I could not output the actual sensor values.
> > >
> > > So the SDR cache is needed for both ipmi-sensors and ipmi-sel now.  It
> > > would probably be best to create a convenience library to handle all SDR
> > > caching for both ipmi-sel and ipmi-sensors.
> > >
> > > http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=103662
> > >
> > > IPMI vendors are now supporting anywhere from 1 to 5 users.  The assumed
> > > 4 users method simply doesn't work anymore.  We need to determine the
> > > number of users supported by the BMC at runtime and output the
> > > appropriate number exactly.

> > > I have various things scheduled for tomorrow morning.  How about Friday
> > > morning?  I can IRC from home.

> > > Cool.

> > > Ok.
> > >
> > > Thanks.