[Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi-2.0 calls on ipmi-1.x hardware

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi-2.0 calls on ipmi-1.x hardware
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:41:10 -0700

Hey Anand,

Are you referring to bmc-config?  After bmc-config trys to get ipmi 2.0
data (i.e. sol info) subsequent calls in bmc-config fail?  Is this in-
band or out-of-band?

Also when you say "subsequent ipmi calls fail" do you mean "return an
error" or "don't respond"?

Also what kind of machine is this?

If you are doing this out of band, I'm going to guess that the sequence
numbers are being handled incorrectly after a failure.  Subsequent later
packets have duplicated sequence numbers, so the BMC drops the duplicate
packets and never responds.

In band, I dunno.  I could be something vendor specific.  Some vendors
implemented sudo ipmi 2.0 functionality on their ipmi 1.5 machines, so
you might be making semi-successful ipmi calls.

Al

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 04:42 -0700, Anand Avati wrote:
> Hi,
>   I observed that when i make a call to any ipmi-2 functionality (like
> vlan or sol) running on an older ipmi hardware, then any subsequent
> (unrelated) ipmi calls fail.
>
> if  i remove the ipi-2 functionaly calls and run the code again, then the
> subsequent functions work successfully, which were previously failing.
>
> is this expected behaviour? am i supposed to do some kind of check
> before making ipmi-2 calls? (if so can the checks be moved to within the
> ipmi-2 functinoality calls?) why are subsequent ipmi calls failing?
>
> regards,
> avati

925-422-5311