Re: [Freeipmi-devel] removed ipmi_locate_defaults_get_dev_info() in t

From: Bala.A
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] removed ipmi_locate_defaults_get_dev_info() in things_to_try list
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

When tool fails to probe IPMI devices, I thought of displaying examples of
calling the tool with appropriate default values.  Anyway I'm completely
OK with your changes.

I would like to add --defaults option to ipmi-locate and the tool will
display default values when this option is passed.  Just let me know your
thoughts.

Thanks,

Bala
---
Free as in freedom
http://www.gnu.org/

> Hi Bala,
>
> To me, it makes sense to remove 'defaults' from the tool ipmi-locate.
But for library probing, I feel it must still be there.

> If there manufacturer offers no inband information for IPMI (through
smbios, dmi, or pci), then at the bare minimum you can try the IPMI
defaults.  If you don't assume the IPMI defaults, then do you assume the
user must also input the address/registerspacing/etc. into the inband
tools?  Otherwise probing will always fail.

> I've reverted this change, because I have a machine which has no probing
information.  It simply implements the IPMI defaults.