Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FreeIPMI Issues

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FreeIPMI Issues
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:21:10 -0700

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 13:04 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Patching bmc-config to support either does seem tricky.  The Dell
> utilities to read/set the key deal only in hex.  Allowing both opens the
> possibility for two different keys to be specified simultaneously.

I agree it would be a non-perfect interface.  I was assuming that users
would understand what they're doing, but that may not be the case.

Here's an idea.  How about if the user prefixes his input with a '0x',
then we assume the user wants to do up to 20 bytes of hex.  If not
prefixed by '0x', then we assume the user is inputting a string?

This would lead to some difficulty with the checkout of the K_g.  We
would have to add some logic to check on hex vs. string.  At the minimum
we'd have to check if all of the bytes after the first NULL byte are
also NULL.  Perhaps some logic checks to ascii character ranges is
needed too?  Hmmm ...

925-422-5311