[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 rel

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 release?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:35:40 -0700

Hey A.B.,

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 03:27 -0700, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
> Hi Al,
> * It is still maintained.

If that's the case, it is pretty out of date:

A) manpage is out of date and not using the common/doc/ common manpage
stuff (if it did the later, it would automatically be updated with my
changes).

B) it doesn't configure anything SOL related

> * BMC-Autoconfig is not a GUI wizard for bmc-config. It is supposed to
>   ask minimum questions from the user and automatically configure the
>   BMC with known defaults. It is intended for users without any
>   knowledge of IPMI to quickly get a basic working setup.
>
> * It does enable LAN and configure NULL, admin, operator and ipmiuser
>   accounts. See the template file, you will get an idea what all it
>   configures.

How does the user know what the default configured usernames are?  No
documentation indicates what they are.  The user is supposed to cat the
template file?  Or run bmc-config --checkout to figure it out?

Also, I see:

"
Note:-
Passwords are not set or cleared.  If you want to set password for BMC
user, run

bmc-config --commit -f 'User<N>.Password=<PASSWORD>'
"

in bmc-autoconfig.  So the user has to run bmc-config anyways to
configure the passwords?  Why not set some defaults?

> If you have suggestions to improve, let us know?

The tool also does not handle the fact that BMCs have a variable number
of users.  So what if the BMC only allows 2 users?

How will bmc-autoconfig handle the variable number of supported cipher
suite configurations different vendors provide?

Al

> Albert Chu writes:
>
> > I'm thinking of dropping this from FreeIPMI:
> >
> > A) It doesn't seem to be maintained by the original authors.
> >
> > B) It apparenly only configures 3 fields of the BMC.  No users, lan
> > enabling, etc.
> >
> > I don't really see the use anymore.  Any comments?  Anyone out there using
> > this?
> >
> > Al
> >
> > --

925-422-5311