[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 rel

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 release?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:35:09 -0700

Hi Al,
Comments inline ..

Al Chu writes:

Hey A.B.,

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 03:27 -0700, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
Hi Al,
* It is still maintained.

If that's the case, it is pretty out of date:

A) manpage is out of date and not using the common/doc/ common
manpage stuff (if it did the later, it would automatically be
updated with my changes).

I already updated man page before writing my previous mail.

B) it doesn't configure anything SOL related

Can you please add the best SOL default config to the template?

* BMC-Autoconfig is not a GUI wizard for bmc-config. It is supposed
to ask minimum questions from the user and automatically configure
the BMC with known defaults. It is intended for users without any
knowledge of IPMI to quickly get a basic working setup.

* It does enable LAN and configure NULL, admin, operator and
ipmiuser accounts. See the template file, you will get an idea what
all it configures.

How does the user know what the default configured usernames are?
No documentation indicates what they are.  The user is supposed to
cat the template file?  Or run bmc-config --checkout to figure it
out?

I shows the configured user names on exit. I did that before writing
my previous mail.

Also, I see:

"
Note:-
Passwords are not set or cleared.  If you want to set password for
BMC user, run

bmc-config --commit -f 'User<N>.Password=<PASSWORD>'
"

in bmc-autoconfig.  So the user has to run bmc-config anyways to
configure the passwords?  Why not set some defaults?

I am not sure why Avati did do so. I agree, we should set some default
passwords too and throw a nice summary in a dialog screen only. User's
may not notice these messages otherwise. We will fix it.

If you have suggestions to improve, let us know?

The tool also does not handle the fact that BMCs have a variable
number of users.  So what if the BMC only allows 2 users?

In that case, at least anonymous 'NULL' user with administrative
privileges  and one 'ipmiuser' with user privileges will be
configured.

How will bmc-autoconfig handle the variable number of supported
cipher suite configurations different vendors provide?

It configures with PLAIN-TEXT passwords which is supported on all
systems. I would consider cipher settings as advanced and recommend
bmc-config instead.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31