Re: [Freeipmi-devel] setting thresholds

From: Gregor Dschung
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] setting thresholds
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:36:47 +0100

Hey Al,

I don't really get your fears. If I checkout something from the bmc /
sensors, I expect the status-quo of the bmc/sensor-threshold-settings.
If I don't know s.th. about a section / item, I don't touch it and so it
won't be changed by a commit.
When I get an item, which is commented out, I suppose it's a "read only
setting", first. If you wanted to pretend the user, you could suppress
the "dangerous" items by default and write them out only, when the user
forces a verbose (-v) output.

Why should the user be able to enable / disable sensors? If I don't want
to use a specific sensor as a trigger for an event, I don't configure a
corresponding event-filter-entry, or ? Is the enable / disable-feature
in the specs, at all?

For the checkout, I imagine s.th. like the following:

# Sensor Name: Temp
Section Sensor_1              // -> Sensor_<unique sensor-id>). Not the
sensor-name, 'cause different sensors can have the same name.
       ## Give your thresholds. Possible values: float number. -
disables the threshold
       Lower_Critical         10.0
       Upper_Critical         60.0
       Lower_Noncritical      15.0
       Upper_Noncritical      65.0
       Upper_Nonrecoverable   -
       Upper_Nonrecoverable   -
EndSection
# Sensor Name: Ambiant Temp
Section Sensor_2
       ## Give your thresholds. Possible values: float number. -
disables the threshold
       Lower_Critical         -
       Upper_Critical         50.0
       Lower_Noncritical      -
       Upper_Noncritical      45.0
       Upper_Nonrecoverable   -
       Upper_Nonrecoverable   -
EndSection
[...]

I think, the sensors, which don't relate to the Event Type 1h
(threshold-able sensors) don't have any setting, which is configurable
by the user. So they don't need to be listed in the checkout.

But for now, have a nice week-end :)
Gregor