Re: [Freeipmi-devel] how to transfer installation binaries to other pc

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] how to transfer installation binaries to other pc
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:31:24 -0400

Hey Michal,

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:16 +0100, Michal Bachorik wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> I finally got to freeipmi porting again (I was on my first vacation this
> year .. finally :)). I 'd use a bit of your help (if you can spare some
> time):
>
> 1. under which license is freeipmi distributed? i fail to spot any
> mention 'bout licensing

Currently it's under GPLv2.  I should be in the COPYING* files in the
root of the project.

> 2. i am a bit confused about the tarball distribution - it seems to me
> that it contains only source files and it has to be re-compiled on a
> end-user machine, right? if yes, see 3.

Currently yes.  The main reasons I (now) do this are:

A) I only have the newest redhat to compile on (currently ia64 and
x86_64, but soon to be only x86_64, no i386) and that's the
redhat/fedora most don't have.

B) freeipmi is in fedora/redhat/bsd ports, so it's better to let them
take care of this issue.  I know it's in some form in debian.  I don't
think it's officially in suse yet.

that said ...

> 3. is there a target that would create a distribution archive containing
> only all compiled  files (for a certain platform)?

If you're up for building for opensolaris and distributing binaries in
the opensolaris packaging, I'd be glad to support you on this.  I don't
own the ftp server we host the FreeIPMI files on, so I don't know if I
can get you an account.  At worst, if you have a location you can store
them in, I'd be glad to put a pointer on the webpage to point to
opensolaris binaries.

Al