RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ibmx3650 reboots after ipmi-sel is unable toget

From: Won De Erick
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ibmx3650 reboots after ipmi-sel is unable toget SEL record
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 07:05:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Al Chu11 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey Won,
>
> FYI, the "(null)" is an old porting issue, so a newer
> version of
> FreeIPMI would fix that part up (it's not a huge deal
> overall though).

Yes Al, actually an upgraded version (unfortunately 6.10, not the latest 7.6)
is ready for deployment.

> What we care about is the
>
> [ 01h 00h 02h E9h ABh C6h 49h 03h ]
> [ F0h 04h 12h 00h 6Fh 00h FFh FFh ]
>
> The important bytes are the "12h 00h 6Fh 00h" at the
> bottom.
>
> 12h = sensor_type = "system event"
>
> 00h = sensor number
>
> 6Fh = event-type_code = "sensor specific"
> (all this means is take the sensor_type and look up
> something in a
> different table really)
>
> 00h = sensor event offset = "system reconfigured"
> (there are some additional flags in here too, but since
> they are 0 we
> can ignore them)
>
> So the messages from the motherboard seem to be interpreted
> correctly.

Thanks for this clear explanation. This should be enough. I also tried checking
this at the BIOS built-in SEL viewer too, and same log appeared.

> Why they occur so much is still a question.  Have you
> been able to ask
> someone at the vendor?

I asked them, but they are unable to tell why. :(

> Al

You might have a better or the most recent reference for the IPMI-SEL messages.
I googled and I found the following which is quite outdated.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/l440gx/l440gx_sel.pdf

Thanks for the usual support.

Won