Re: [Freeipmi-devel] tweaked Sun workaround text

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] tweaked Sun workaround text
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:21:37 +0100

Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:

> Ahhhh.  Ok ... then in that case I should put:
>
> "Sun Fire 2200/4150/4450 with ELOM"
>
> I didn't understand that it was an ELOM thing.

I can't actually demonstrate that on the other systems, but I think it
must be the case; I assume ELOM has the same lan bugs on any system that
runs it.  At least one of the 4150 and 4450 -- I can't recall what I
looked up -- is upgradable to ILOM, in which case the workaround will
change.

> I generally dislike documenting version numbers in b/c they can be out
> of date very quickly.

Yes.  That was just `it's not fixed as of that version'.

> Also, how are you getting the firmware version
> number?  B/c the IPMI way to get version numbers doesn't have that much
> detail.

Yes, it's annoying.  SSH to the SP says it on login, and `version' has
further details:

  -> version
  SP firmware 2.0.2.5
  SP firmware build number: 32265
  SP firmware date: Fri Apr 25 20:35:59 PDT 2008
  SP filesystem version: 0.1.14

Of course, you can't just do `ssh <host> version', sigh.  The web
interface has the same info.

On the other hand, ELOM says `Version 3.15' in the login banner and the
IPMI info, but this from the CLI:

  /SP -> version
  SM CLP Version v1.0.0
  SM ME Addressing Version v1.0.0
  /SP -> show -d properties AgentInfo FWVersion

    /SP/AgentInfo
      Properties:
          FWVersion = 3.15

Don't get me started on the inconsistency, and the fact that our x2200s
can't be upgraded to ILOM!