[Freeipmi-devel] Interfacing IPMB using SSIF

From: Fillod Stephane
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Interfacing IPMB using SSIF
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:27:52 +0200

Hi,

Does anyone have implemented an IPMB controller (BMC) with a Linux I2C
stack?
Rem: please let me know when I don't use the right terminology.
I'm quite new to this whole IPMI world :-)

The basic idea would be to allow freeipmi based applications to do
in-band directly to IPMB. I don't know whether it makes a big
difference,
I have uTCA as the backplane in mind.

In order to implement a function ipmi_ssif_cmd_api_ipmb(), we would
need the OS (Linux in this case) to be able to handle an I2C slave write
IO,
in a multi-master fashion. IOW, when replying, some device on the IPMB
does
an I2C write IO to the Linux node (which is not to be mistaken with an
I2C
read), and the Linux node has to handle that IO. Maybe it could store it

until freeipmi retrieves it.
So, on top of I2C_RDWR ioctl, we would need a kind of I2C_SLAVE_RECV.
Does someone know whether such a thing exists? How best to define
and code the ioctl interface if no such ioctl exists?
Maybe a question to the Linux I2C guys? http://i2c.wiki.kernel.org

Thanks for your feedback
--
Stephane