[Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun ma

From: Dave Love
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:13:20 +0100

Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm.  I don't know much about the openipmi kernel driver, but I know it
> can have it's own bmc-watchdog running.  Are you sure it's not running
> it's own watchdog out of the kernel?

Oh, yes, there's an ipmi_watchdog module, but it's not loaded on my
GNU/Linux systems, and the one I'm particularly interested in is the
Solaris one which doesn't need the openipmi driver and shows the same
effect.

> I do have one other guess as to how you're seeing "timer stopped by
> another process".  It's possible there is an early race, where the timer
> has not yet quite started.  In bmc-watchdog/src/bmc-watchdog.c, perhaps
> you can try this tiny test.

OK, I'll let you know.

If you're interested in the `BMC busy' failure with the freeipmi
interface to the watchdog, let me know any useful debugging I can do,
but it's not a problem for me.