[Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun ma

From: Frank Steiner
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:12:11 +0100

Al Chu wrote

>> Maybe a little warning from the bmc-watchdog binary when ipmi kernel modules
>> are loaded when running on a Sun machine could help others to avoid this?
>
> I'm not really sure what kind of error message could be portable and/or
> reasonable.  From the perspective of most FreeIPMI software, any
> driver/mechanism to reach the BMC card is ok.  If the OpenIPMI driver is
> available, it can use it.

I think I have misunderstood your reply to Dave. I thought that the sun BMCs
had general problems whenever the kernel modules are loaded.

> I'm not sure why (in this case) using the OpenIPMI kernel driver didn't
> work.  Did you get any other error messages?  The predominant issue that

I just figured out what was wrong: When calling "/etc/init.d/ipmi start"
I can use "-D OPENIPMI". After calling "/etc/init.d/ipmi stop" I can
use bmc-watchdog without -D.

Problem here was that starting lm_sensors from the runlevel loads only
some of the ipmi kernel modules. Not enough to make "-D openipmi" work,
but enough to cause many delays and "busy" problems when calling
bmc-watchdog without -D.
Thus: loading all or none ipmi kernel modules works (with/without -D),
but only some of them causes both methods to fail.

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/