Re: [Freeipmi-devel] in need of guidance...

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] in need of guidance...
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 14:40:07 -0700

Hi Arnaud,

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 12:19 -0700, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> 2011/6/28 Albert Chu <address@hidden>
>         On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 02:28 -0700, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>         (...)
>         > I'm *very* interested in!
>         > this could even serve as a simple example, shipped in the
>         examples/
>         > directory.
>

>         Unfortunately, it will require knowledge of the IPMI
>         protocol/specification, which makes it difficult (and why I
>         probably
>         never bothered with an example).
>
>         Everything is in the ipmi-fru and ipmi-sensors tools, however
>         I imagine
>         a lot of the options, permutations of things, IPMI spec
>         details, etc. is
>         what's making it confusing.
>
>         Give me some time, and I'll try to "whittle" the ipmi-fru and
>         ipmi-sensors tools into a far simpler example that can give
>         you a basis
>         for what you're trying to accomplish.
>
> sure, thanks a lot for your much appreciated proposition.
> since I have some hard deadlines, do you have any approximate idea on
> when you'd be able to release this?

Attached is a simplified ipmi-fru that you can hopefully use to extract
the FRU information you seek.  "gcc ipmi-fru-example.c -lfreeipmi" is
all you need to do.  I took out a lot of stuff, and there a number of
special cases not handled.  It may not work for all motherboards, but is
a good place to start.

As for sensors, I figured you would probably want to use
libipmimonitoring, since it's at a much higher level.  I would suggest
looking at the ipmimonitoring-sensors.c file.

Hopefully that's enough to get you going.  LMK if you need some help
deciphering the code more.

Al