[Freeipmi-devel] The buildsytem problem

From: Diego Elio Pettenò
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] The buildsytem problem
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:54:25 +0200

As I noted in my previous mail, the current build system is suffering
from a high level of recursion that makes the build (and the install)
very slow on modern multi-core systems using parallel make.

Now, it isn't difficult to make the Automake files non-recursive, and
that would solve the problem. But there is a matter of choosing how to
do so, as there are different methods.

My usual favourite method is to use subdir-objects to make sure that the
object files are built in the same directory hierarchy as the source
files, for the sake of order, but then build all the targets (libraries
and commands) in the top-level directory.

Considering how many tools freeipmi consists of, this could be a bit
chaotic.

The alternative would be to declare the tools in the subdirectories, but
that makes the Makefile.am syntax a bit more complex (i.e. to build
bmc-watchdog/bmc-watchdog you'd have something like

bmc_watchdog_bmc_watchdog_SOURCES =

Before trying to provide some build system patches I'd like some
comments on what is preferred to deal with it.

Thanks,
--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/