Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Question regarding windows version

From: Arnaud Quette
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Question regarding windows version
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:10:29 +0100

Hi Albert and the list,

2012/12/5 Albert Chu <address@hidden>
Hi Patrick,

> first of all your tool is really awesome. I like the concept and
> respect the effort you guys are putting into development. Since
> Release you are constantly updating this tool and making it better.

Thanks

I'm seconding Patrick. And especially you Al, you are doing an awesome work with FreeIPMI!

> I have one little question. We are having many Windows Based Systems
> here, so there is no chance I can use and benefit from freeipmi. So my
> question is if you have ever considered to do an windows version of
> free ipmi. There is only one tool available “ipmiutil” that supports
> windows, it is also open source, but lacks some relevant things.  I
> would be please to use your free ipmi tool on a windows machine.

I personally wouldn't mind trying to get FreeIPMI to work in Windows,
however I've never had access to Windows running on an IPMI capable
server.  It's something my company just doesn't do.

So I just don't have the capability to do it.  I have always hoped that
someone from the community would be able to add support.

It's great to see that this thread is still alive.
I've some Windows server that are IPMI capable, under the hand.
And I'm seriously considering the option of a mingw port of FreeIPMI, and would be pouring some resources into this effort.
A member of my team very quickly tried a compilation, but it has been so miserably failing that he thrown the towel almost instantly...

So, would you be considering a mingw effort?
How could we help and synchronize?

cheers,
Arnaud
--