Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Retrieving BIOS information via IPMI

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Retrieving BIOS information via IPMI
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:49:59 -0800

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 12:41 -0500, Vinny Vallarine wrote:
> Thanks Al.
>

> I'd be content at the moment to be able to retrieve the BIOS version
> number.  Sounds like something as simple as that would be Vendor
> specific, correct?

Yes & no.

My recollection is that nothing in the IPMI spec allows you to
specifically retrieve the "BIOS" version.  However, many vendors flash
all of their device firmware (BIOS + IPMI firmware, etc.) with the same
image.  So many of the device/system versions retrieved via IPMI may in
fact be identical to the BIOS version.

> We're interfacing with SuperMicro main boards. I know they have
> specific tools to do exactly what I need to do so I'm assuming they've
> added the needed extensions.

You may be in luck.  There is an extensions for Supermicro firmware
versions in ipmi-oem.  However, again, it's not necessarily the BIOS
version.

Al