Re: ipmi-console doesn't need root and should be in /usr/bin

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: ipmi-console doesn't need root and should be in /usr/bin
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 09:50:36 -0800

Hi Fabio,

I think that's a good point.  And the same argument can maybe be made
for `ipmipower` since it has no "in-band" component.  Both are in
/usr/sbin mostly b/c everything else there is.

My one concern is that it's been in /usr/sbin for so long, I'm not sure
how many people may have hard coded "/usr/sbin/" into scripts.  This is
far likely with "ipmipower", but perhaps with "ipmiconsole" too.

Perhaps a backwards compatibility symlink would be needed?

What would you imagine debian doing in this case?

Al