Reading a sensor (fan) in C

From: Ian Pilcher
Subject: Reading a sensor (fan) in C
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:55:03 -0500

I want to write a simple program to manage the fan speeds on my Super-
Micro server.  (The fan management "modes" provided by the BMC simply
aren't able to achieve a good balance of noise and temperature.)

The program will need to read fan speeds via IPMI and send "raw"
commands to set the fan duty cycles[1].  (CPU temperatures can be read
from sysfs, and HDD temperatures can be read with libatasmart.)

So I'm trying to figure out how to read a fan sensor by looking at the
FreeIPMI source code (particularly ipmi-sensors), but it's slow going.

Can anyone provide an overview of the steps needed?

Thanks!
[1] https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/

                 In Soviet Russia, Google searches you!