[Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI driver availability

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI driver availability
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:29:07 -0800

,----[ "Simon Sebastian Bunge" <address@hidden> ]
| Dear Anand:
|
| We have been trying to get to run FreeIPMI on the following machines for
| which we primarily need monitoring (in order of importance):
|
| 1. HP Netserver LT6000R
| 2. No-name with Intel SE7210TP1-E (1 U) Server Board
| 3. HP Netserver LP2000R
|
| We compiled from source - which worked out fine. However, calling
| "bmc-info" would lead to a stale process as would "sensors": they consume
| about half a percent of the CPU time, but do nothing (for about 25 minutes
| after which we stopped trying)!?
|
| What we are not sure about is whether we are dealing with a low-level
| driver issue or a high-level configuration problem. Are the stated
| servers/motherboards supported already or is support planned? (I remember
| having read a post by you saying that support for the Intel TP board was
| on the way!?)
| Honestly, we don't have too much of a clue about the different IPMI
| standards and the chips/interfaces used by vendors to implement it.
| Therefore, we would greatly appreciate ANY help!
`----
HP:
===
As of now GNU FreeIPMI uses SB-BIOS, PCI-Locate and default ports for
probing. I think, HP systems uses non-standard port address and
ACPI to locate BMC.  Next release of GNU FreeIPMI will include
user-space ACPI (control methods and SPMI tables) probing
functionality which should take care of HP systems too. Otherwise if
you can find out the BMC KCS IO port address from HP support, then
it is just a matter of making an entry in fish.scm configuration
file to get everything to work.

Intel SE7210TP1-E: