[Freeipmi-users] fish crashes with "Segmentation fault" at startup

From: robm_campbell
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] fish crashes with "Segmentation fault" at startup
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:33:40 +0000

Hi,

I'm a new user/member and have trawled the documentation & mailing list archives
for a solution unsuccessfully.

I built the latest readline, guile & freeipmi on a RedHat 9-1 host for use
on an embedded system. NB. freeipmi built against the new '/usr/local'
installation
of guile & readline rather than the standard RedHat distribution and freeipmi
was also installed to '/usr/local'.
If I run 'fish' on the build-host it starts up fine and I can get the output
from 'help' as expected (there's no BMC etc. on this host so nothing else
will work). All the binaries, libraries and newly built kernel (2.4.31) were
copied
to an image file mounted via the loop driver which I then 'chroot'ed to and
tried to run 'fish as before. Result - crash ... Segmentation fault and core
dump.

Same thing happens if I write the image to a compact flash card and boot
the target system. Kernel, shell (BusyBox/ash) etc. start OK and I can run
all the usual stuff but when I try fish, it crashes as before on the chroot'ed
build system. Note that I can run 'guile' on the target and get a prompt
without crashing. Also note that the CF card is mounted as '/' read-only
and temporary storage is on a RAMdisk since there's no hard-drive on the
target. However, since I get the same effect on the build-host when chroot'ed
and running the RedHat kernel I'm thinking this probably isn't the cause
of my problem.

I've checked all the required library versions/locations with 'ldd' and they
all match but I reckon I must have missed something.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions as to how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Rob

Unlimited Tiscali Broadband from 14.99!