[Freeipmi-users] IBM eServer 325 workaround

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] IBM eServer 325 workaround
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:05:17 -0800

Hi Gerald,

Carson Gaspar, a fellow I found through the ipmitool mailing list, was
able to determine what the problem was with the IBM eServer325.  I was
able to test a patched version of 'ipmipower' and it worked.

Short story. there is a flag called "per msg authentication" in the
beginning of IPMI protocol.  The flag, to some degree, directs how later
IPMI packets should be generated.  The IBM eServer sets the flag but
later in the protocol assumes it isn't set.

I'm not entirely sure of the best way to deal with this right now.  This
is the first vendor workaround that I'll have to do the opposite of what
the protocol tells me to do. I'm thinking of a "--ibmeserver325" option.