[Freeipmi-users] Re: freeipmi s/w status on problem "ipmi_open_inband no

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: freeipmi s/w status on problem "ipmi_open_inband no such device"
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 06:43:53 +0530

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
|   I've emailed you in the past about ipmi & powerman issues.  We
| have a problem with our HP DL145 G1's running your freeipmi
| software.  Strangely enough, when we updated from BIOS firmware 4.06
| to 4.07, freeipmi stopped working.  The error is exactly like that
| (including ipmi-locate output) previously reported by Rene Salmon of
| Tulane U.
| See
| below for your response:
|
| Hey Rene,
|
| Thanks.  That verifies atleast why it's failing.
|
| /* At this point we only support SYSTEM_IO, i.e. inb/outb style IO.
|   If we cant find the bass address, we better exit. -- Anand Babu */
|   if (dev->io.inband.locate_info.addr_space_id !=
| IPMI_ADDRESS_SPACE_ID_SYSTEM_IO)
|     {
|       errno = ENODEV;
|       return (-1);
|     }
|
| The IBM's use memory mapped io.  This is the first machine (that
| I've seen) with memory mapped rather than port based i/o for in-band
| IPMI.
|
| A.B., Bala I'll leave this to you to follow up on.  Needless to say,
| this needs to be fixed.  I think logically it shouldn't be too hard
| to add?  Just need to map some INB/OUTB calls into read/writes?  I
| could give it a shot, but I lack a machine to test on.
|
| Al
|

| We would like to know if you are still in the process of fixing this
| problem or if the fix has already been made.
|
| Thanks for your help.  Other than this current problem, we have had
| verygood luck with the stability of freeipmi and are quite pleased.
|

| Mike Spangler
| Boeing Co.
| 714 372 9999
`----

Mike,
Rene's IBM system had a bug. SMBIOS incorrectly reported KCS interface
as memory-mapped, but it was I/O mapped actually. Also their KCS
interface was not IPMI compliant. Only few commands worked.

User can override the ipmi-locate driver and pass driver details
manually through command line arguments.

Bala, please post examples for driver arguments usage.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31

Z RESEARCH [http://www.zresearch.com]